The Department of Education (DOE) knows that the COVID-19 crisis and the unexpected shift to remote learning in the second half of the school year have presented challenges for many families all across the City. This year, the DOE will offer summer school via remote instruction, this will provide to only children that are required to attend with the academic supports they need and a bridge from this school year to the next. In addition to academic instruction, children participating in these summer school programs will also have opportunities to go on self-paced virtual field trips and engage in daily social-emotional learning activities.
Grades 3-8: Students in grades 3–8 who are not promoted in June will be required to attend summer school. Some students in grades 3–8 who are promoted in June may also be recommended by their teacher for additional academic support over the summer. They will participate in six weeks of remote instruction from Monday, July 13 – Tuesday, August 18.
Your teacher will notify you in June if your child is required or recommended to participate in summer learning programs. The DOE will not be operating elective Summer Academy and school-based enrichment programs this year. We will continue to share resources and summer-specific activities at schools.nyc.gov/summer in the coming weeks.
Families can access tutorials for Google Classrooms in multiple languages here. There are also translated materials here:
- Inventory of Centrally translated materials
- Translated graphics on DOE announcements (CBOs have asked for these so they can easily share with parents across multiple platforms) - a caveat here is that we're adding translations and content as soon as they're finalized and back from T&I, and it will update in real time so advocates should check back for more!
Dial-a-Teacher is back! https://tutor.dialateacher.org/
- What: Homework help line for students, run by classroom teachers
- Where: Visit tutor.dialateacher.org, fill out the form and get a call from a teacher
- Who: Students in kindergarten through 5th grade
- Hours: Monday through Thursday, 4 to 7 p.m. when school is in session
- Languages spoken: English
- Subjects available: English and math
The DOE has delivered tablets to 285,000+ families. The iPads are internet enabled through T-mobile, so students can immediately access online remote learning with these devices. If families still need a device, please fill out the Remote Learning Device Request Form - the DOE will continue to distribute iPads to families until they reach 300K.