1st Grade Curriculum
Our science curriculum is based off of the Next Generation Science Standards. We use FOSS (Full Option Science System) to teach important science concepts in a hands on, collaborative manner which is rooted in inquiry and discovery. Our science units include:
Physical Science: Light and Sound
Students will be investigating the questions:
- What happens when materials vibrate?
- What happens when there is no light?
Life science: Plants and Animals
Students will be investigating:
- What are some ways plants and animals meet their needs so that they can survive and grow?
- How are parents and their children similar and different?
Earth science: Air and Weather
Students will be investigating and answering:
- What objects are in the sky and how do they seem to move?
Students will be able to observe, describe, and predict some patterns of the movement of objects in the sky.
Throughout first grade we will be learning and exploring the families and communities we live in.
We will be answering the Essential Questions:
- Why are families important and how do they influence who we are?
- How do families grow and change over time?
- What is a community?