5th Grade Curriculum
5th Grade is the final academic year at PS 452, and is certainly a most memorable one. This is no ordinary year, rather it is a year full of new experiences, learning, and responsibilities to culminate the students' childhood years as we prepare them for their middle school years and beyond.
Team 5 implements innovative systems and routines and provides an enriching curriculum to promote a successful year full of challenges, growth, and pride for students.
- Departmentalized instruction: Students learn from subject specialists, and travel to various teachers and rooms to engage in content area learning.
- Schedule Management: Students learn to manage different schedules and materials for different days of the week. On M-W, Class 5A begins in Humanities (Room 313) while Class 5B begins in STEM (Room 304). On Th-F, the classes switch morning subjects. Additionally, Band instrument groups must manage the days they bring in their instruments for music class as these days may differ from other students in their class.
- Enrichment Programs: Students will have NYSCC chess class once a week in the Fall semester, and Film Society KIDS in the Spring semester.
- Band Program: Fifth grade students will play band instruments and learn to read music this year: Brass, Woodwinds, and Guitar.
- Senior Trip: This year's senior class trip will be to Frost Valley YMCA camp in the Fall Semester. This is an overnight trip (2 nights, 3 days), all expenses paid by our generous PTA.
- Community Meetings and Advisory Groups: To promote healthy social-emotional development and cooperation and communication skills, the team offers weekly whole grade meetings and/or breakout advisory small groups to teach about and foster kindness, empathy, responsibility, safety, and, inclusivity.
Current fifth grade families: Please visit www.452grade5.com for latest updates, downloadable docs, and discussion forums pertaining to 5th grade.