PS 452 Parent Teacher Association
The Parent Teacher Association (PTA) is the organization through which parents are able to organize, get and exchange information, and work to support and enrich the academic and social life of all the students. As a parent of a child attending PS 452, you are automatically a member of the PTA, no dues required.
From community building to working with Mr. Parker to understand school needs, the PTA plays a critical role at PS 452. Some members help organize events while others meet only a few times a year to discuss how to allocate PTA funds. The PTA raises money to fund enrichment, teacher development, field trips, classroom supplies and technology.
PTA meetings are a great opportunity to hear directly from Principal Parker and get an in-depth, focused presentation on specific school issues by guest speakers.
PTA Executive Board
- Jodie Toresdahl
- Monica Wyche
- Radhika Huryn
- Nerina Rustomji
- Dan Cohen
- Millie Wang
Co- Vice Presidents, Communications
- Sarah Courtemanche
- Karen Dahl
Vice President, Fundraising
- Angie Sweeney
Vice President, Community Affairs
- Sharon Meiri Fox
- Haley Mustac
- Pranjal Shah
Frequently Asked Questions
How can I get involved in the PTA?
There are many ways to be involved in the PTA, no matter what your level of interest and availability.
- Attend PTA sponsored events and participate in PTA activities, including monthly meetings. This is the easiest way to get involved.
- Volunteer to help prepare for or work at a PTA sponsored event or activity.
- Join or chair a PTA Committee (Committee information and contacts)
- Become an Executive Board Member (elections in the spring for the following year).
- Work full-time with zero flexibility? Work from home? Have small children? Hate meetings? Great with numbers? Terrible with numbers? Shy? Extremely out-going? Anything in-between? If you would like to get involved, contact the PTA at firstname.lastname@example.org and we will work with you to find a great way for you to participate.
What do PTA funds support?
The PTA funds help support teacher development, classroom and library books, technology, music, art and physical education equipment, field trips, and curricular partnerships, including National Dance Institute, Salvadori, Lincoln Center Film Society, and more. Learn more here.
What do PTA Committees do?
PTA Committees address many aspects of PS 452 — interested in helping our children give back to the community through events like clothing and toy drives? Be a part of the Community Outreach Committee. Enjoy getting other great PS 452 parents together and having fun? Help out with the Social Committee. Passionate about environmental issues, wellness, nutrition or fitness? Join the Wellness Committee. Want to have a say in how PTA funds are allocated? Be a part of the Budget Committee! No matter what your interests or availability — volunteers are always welcomed and needed! Contact email@example.com.
What is the PTA Executive Board and what do they do?
The PTA Executive Board meets monthly (meetings are open, see calendar at left) to discuss the various activities of the PTA, review budget, and address challenges. There are no qualifications for any office other than to be a parent of a child attending PS 452.The Executive Board consists of:
- president or co-presidents,
- vice president or co-vice presidents of community affairs,
- vice president or co-vice presidents of communications,
- vice president or co-vice presidents of fundraising,
- secretary or co-secretaries,
- treasurer or co-treasurers,
- up to two (2) parent(s)-at-large representatives (one of which must represent the incoming Kindergarten class). Parent-at-Large positions are elected in the Fall.
The PTA must elect the mandatory officers: president, secretary, and treasurer, in order to be a functioning parent teacher association. The PTA bylaws (linked at top left of this page) outline the responsibility of each position. Elections for executive board positions (with the exception of parents-at-large representatives, are held during the May general PTA meeting for the following year. The deadline for nominations is the beginning of the May general PTA meeting. The term of the officers is from July 1 through June 30th. Parent members of the SLT (School Leadership Team) are also elected at the May meeting.